The friendliest church from the parking lot to the pulpit
NEW YEAR’S DAY 2017
Speaker: Pastor Sparks
Text: Philippians 3:12-14
-Sometimes you gotta take the bitter with the sweet; and the key to accepting both is by learning to be content REGARDLESS of the circumstances
-Worrying is counterproductive to your Christian walk because it wastes time; it causes you to focus on the problem & not the solution; it causes you to try to take responsibility for something that’s in God’s control
-The only way the new year changes is if YOU change; you gotta MAKE 2017 different than 2016
-Haven’t you nursed your fears enough so now they’re big & healthy enough TO BE RELEASED TO GO ON THEIR OWN WAY NOW?!
-Fear wants to be all over your life. It makes you paranoid; makes you feel that where you are is where you’ll stay; makes you believe that nothing can change for the better. Fear wants to control every, single aspect of your life!
-One thing that is more powerful than fear: HOPE! Once you replace fear with hope, life changes immediately!
How do I move from fear to HOPE?
1. Be Honest About Your Life
* Stop fronting; stop trying to be someone or something you’re not
* Yes, you’ve been hurt BUT…You can let your wounds define your life OR you can give your wounds definition
* Who you follow, who you depend on, & who you trust in is what matters!
* God will bless you…if you let Him!
* Whenever you face a difficulty in your life, you gotta learn to say “it is what it is”. Accept it head on, stop denying it…and start working to get it better!
* Be careful thinking that just because you don’t struggle with THAT means that you don’t struggle!
* When you get to this stage, you have to start repenting for your repentance!
2. Keep Your Mind On Kingdom Business
* There’s a reason Christ saved you & that should be what you focus on!
* Christ found me, saved me, and He has a purpose for me
* As you figure it out, keep concentrating on it & working it out
3. Focus On Your Future
* You gotta move forward & you can’t move forward until you forget what’s behind
* Your attitude everyday has to be “I AM MOVING FORWARD”
* Don’t give up, keep your legs moving & press on!
4. Keep Pressing On Towards Heaven
* Stop getting hung up on every little distraction; stop listening to every little comment; stop getting caught up in your feelings; just FEAR NOT (because God’s got you) and PRESS ON!
Sermon Notes Courtesy of Deacon Anthony Sparks
7600 Division Avenue
Birmingham, AL 35206